Saturday, September 20, 2008

Losing Our Souls to a Piecemeal Space and Time

The early autumn rain is streaking my window, pattering in time with the music. Pulsing red blooms fill a glass on my desk. A candle glows by the modest stack of books.

The moment is simple. I’ve been trying to understand this promise of wholeness. These rare moments when concentration is possible almost without effort, when fragmentation seems to disappear.

Faint staccato as the rain grows harder. A dissonant piano chord.

Julia Kristeva diagnoses the modern malaise partly as the result of living in what she calls, “a piecemeal and accelerated space and time.” We have built a culture of show, a society of spectacle. We identify ourselves closely with images fed to us by capitalism -- by entertainment, advertising and propaganda -- and we lose all sense of our identity. Instead of experiencing those images that bombard us constantly as something outside of ourselves, we begin to experience these images as real. We identify so intimately with a set of images that we think they are us. They distort all sense of inner space, transgressing our boundaries. We may think we know our own desires, but often we are simply desiring what we have been told to desire, the need has been “artificially produced” (McAfee). We have become pawns of the external economy, and it is not merely our money that is being manipulated, it is our very sense of self.

“Modern man is losing his soul, but he does not know it,” Kristeva states. In her paradigm, those who wish to fight against this, must work to create an inner space, “ a secret garden, an intimate quarter…a psychic life.”

I identify strongly with this diagnosis. Easily distracted, easily fragmented, feeling pushed and pulled by desires that often defy classification into “real” and “societal pressures,” I find myself hyperventilating for lack of inner space. I spend my days sifting through an overwhelming tide of floatsam: collecting a hundred bits of news via a bewildering array of RSS feeds, monitoring human blips on the radar known as status messages, checking three inboxes, counting minutes, compiling lists and electronic calendars and bookmarking, sending, noting. After a day of this, I am incapable of holding a thought together for more than 30 seconds.

What is perhaps more sinister, I find that without constantly interrogating my desires, I too begin to identify with a set of images which I find I never consciously chose in the first place. That look, these stores, those activities, that music, this restaurant, that publication, this pose. Good enough if I told myself, I like this. But often, I don’t. Often, I’ve swallowed the hook somewhere without realizing it.

Distracted, fragmented, with an artificial sense of self.

I find it a bit ironic that culture was created as a way of imposing wholeness and order onto chaos. Now the forces of our culture are fragmenting us, the creators of culture.

I’ve been brushing up a bit on early ancient religion. All those creator myths about a god rising out of the chaos, the struggle to find a strong enough deity that could subdue the sea, the rivers, the “the womb of chaos.” The dividing of the earth, heaven and water into manageable entities. The establishing of rites to keep the chaos at bay.

And now, when my city life feels like a swirl of bits and pieces around an empty center, I find myself making my way to the cathedral downtown. Perhaps that is ultimately what I am seeking of my faith, a center. A meaningful way to step out of the meaningless flood that threatens sanity.

“If the Lord had not been my help, my soul would soon have lived in the land of silence. When I thought ‘My foot slips,’ your steadfast love, O Lord, held me up.”

Ultimately, for Kristeva, sanity can be preserved through love, through an attention to the particular, to the specific, to the individual. Through casting away empty monolithic definitions that dehumanize us.

I think the Psalmist might agree.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find it a bit ironic that culture was created as a way of imposing wholeness and order onto chaos. Now the forces of our culture are fragmenting us, the creators of culture.

I don't think the term "culture" can be used to describe the mechanisms operating upon your psyche, not without changing the definition of the word. From my understanding, as a noun, it can mean one of two things: A) The higher arts of a society (from which I suppose derives the adjective form of the word, "cultured;" and B) any form of art or method or rite or whathaveyou that expresses the spirit of the people, their traditions and their history. Both uses of the term imply a natural, free and expressive outgrowth of a people's collective will.

On the other hand, what you are describing is an inorganic, manipulative imposition from outside of this will. It is determined, and I think intentionally so, to break down the processes by which real culture is established, replacing it with the fragmentation you're feeling, so that you consume, and believe that by consuming you are participating in the greater collective will, thereby transcending yourself. But you are not, it's just an imitation of true transcendence. And here's a bonus, by breaking down your sense of self and community and connection to a higher power, the powers that be make you both easier to sell something to and easier to control, hence government close relationship to the capitalist agenda.

Capitalism has replaced culture with a doppelgänger that has no name. And at least here in America, the odds that true culture will be revitalized anytime soon is not likely. The arts hardly get any funding, and thanks to a healthcare system that works only for those who buy into the capitalist agenda, anybody that wants to make something true and good risks poverty and poor health. Like everything else we consume, I suppose we'll have to import our culture from abroad.

Anyway, I've had a bunch of coffee, so I don't know how much of this I'll actually stand by tomorrow. It's just something that struck me while reading your post, that we either have no culture, or we have a culture of nothingness. The real kick of it is that I've been trying FOR WEEKS to write something that even comes close to articulating my feelings about children's books so I can comment on your earlier post, but alas. There's just too much there. Maybe I'll get another latte tomorrow and give it a fifth shot...

Veronica . . . said...

You have a point Zack. Kristeva actually says that we are the only society (the "Western World" homogenized) to not have a culture per say. In place of traditional culture we have consumerism. That would be why one mega city looks like the next, no matter what country.

I was thinking more culture in terms of man-made facets of life. But in a more specific sense, there's good culture. Then there's ... anti-culture? No idea.

Anonymous said...

I think you're right: the Psalmist would fight for the discovery of him/herself again. This is an excellent piece of recognizing the conflict of a being in the world – a world toward which I can never know wholly or holy.

When I say this, I don't mean because we're Christians. I mean that I cannot wholly know the world or sync with it because I'm human. I think St. Paul might call this longsuffering; but I'll go with the OT and battle the fiery angels and will of God, or the will of culture, as I'm not sure which is which.

rabble, rabble, rabble...

amanda + daniel said...

i think i agree too. your words are a breath of fresh air. thanks.

amber said...

I like the tension between this post's reference to the Psalmist being rescued from the "land of silence" and your last post, which spoke of meaningful silence. The empty white noise of fragmentation versus silence that fills and sustains.

Anonymous said...

I just had to say I really appreciated this post - and I have some further thoughts along the lines you, Kristeva and the Psalmist have set out...but no time at the moment to put them down. But I did want to say I really appreciated this post.